God doesn’t want anything to be set before Him as a god. Anything can become idolatrous = IF YOU LET IT.
Coca-Cola can become a god to you if it gets in the way of God almighty & Jesus His Son. It all depends if you are worshiping it in your heart.
For example = I personally do not set up a Christmas tree at Christmas because I know of its roots & where it comes from. It is one of those things that you bring up to God in prayer and ask for His discernment; because He ultimately is the one that searches the heart.
I have pictures of Jesus within my home as a reminder of whom I serve and as a teaching tool unto my children. It ultimately is a matter of the heart upon whom you serve.
Now I will say this === there are true idolatrous figures that I would definitely not have within my home because I know of the pagan origins of where they come from. Its best to not have anything within the home that can defile it.
The above all has to do with actual graven images, but the worst god that can be set before God is the god of SELF.
==========LUKEWARM; BACKSLIDERS; HYPOCRITES; VIPERS; ADULTEROUS WIFE; FORNICATORS; ADULTERERS; DOUBLE MINDED; IDOLATRY; REBEL ;stiff-necked people (means= hard to turn)================
====== These are all biblical synonyms for those that try to serve another god. ========
What is the number 1 commandment given by God in the Old Testimant?:
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.
Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them;
This one commandment that has been iterated numerous times throughout scripture and in amongst the churches, that you would think many would take HEED to a very important commandment.
There is a common theme that you see from Genesis all the way to Revelation, showing how God is trying to enforce that very commandment, because of it’s imperativeness:
- When Satan beguiled Adam & Eve = They thought they “could be like God” making them gods themselves; therefore they set another god before GOD. They were made perfect before sin ever entered the picture.
John 1:1-9 King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which LIGHTETH EVERY MAN THAT COMETH INTO THE WORLD.
Because they set theirselves as gods before God, they adulterated their hearts & left their “first love” (the Son of God = the Tree of Life). Then they repented.
- When Satan fell he stated “I will be like the most high.” He tried to make himself a god; therefore he put himself as another god before GOD. Satan did not repent.
- At the time of the flood = God only saw the grace in the eyes of one man, NOAH. The whole earth was filled with violence and servers of the FLESH. They had made their sinful flesh to be as gods. Therefore, they had put theirselves as gods BEFORE GOD. Everyone outside the ark did not repent.
- Sodom, that is later called Jeruselem’s sister in scripture, became lovers of self (amongst many other things), & therefore put themselves as gods before God. Sodom did not repent.
- The fallen angels that lost their first estate became servers of self, therefore making themselves gods before God. The angels did not repent.
- Joseph’s brothers became servers of self when they threw him in the well. Only difference here is, the brothers later repented and became part of the 12 tribes of Israel.
- The very same Israelites that went into Egypt with Josesph, later had to be rescued (apx 400 yrs later) from Egypt. The pharaoh was given ample time to repent & did not. He then later met his demise with his followers in the Red Sea. He had made himself to be a god before God along with his soldiers that also served him & servers of their flesh.
- The Israelites that escaped with Moses out of Egypt, along with their riches & slaves, sang “the song of Moses” because they had been redeemed. Covenants went forth to circumcise the first born and commemorate all the first born unto God (including cattle). This depicts the first fruits & first works of the promise of Jesus to come = THE REDEEMER. Despite all that, many were found to be double-minded and created the golden calf to worship because they longed for the idols in Egypt. This brought forth the 10 commandments given on Mount Sianai with the #1 commandment of “There shall be NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME!” & THIS INCLUDES SERVERS OF SELF.